Agency and Independent Providers have the choice of billing the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities (DODD) for Waiver funded services directly, or by utilizing the services of a DODD authorized billing agent.  All direct billing must be transmitted electronically, as invoices submitted on paper are not processed by DODD.

Providers are reimbursed for services when
  • the services are identified on an approved individual service plan (ISP),
  • the service is recommended for payment through Payment Authorization for Waiver Services, or PAWS,
  • you have been certified by DODD to provide services,
  • you have provided the service, 
  • and you submit claims within 350 days of service.
The Union County Board of Developmental Disabilities, does not present training on DODD billing procedures. 

Online and In-Person training class information, and detailed instructions for submitting claims to the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities (DODD), can be accessed via the

Visit the DODD website for direct access to the DODD Training/Class Registration System.

You will be paid 15 days after you submit a claim, if the claim is approved.
Every week on Monday afternoons, an Invoice Report will be available eMBS. It will show which claims were successfully processed and how much you will be paid.
Deposits are typically made on Thursday if you have direct deposit, and that is also when checks will be mailed out.  You can find the report on the Provider Weekly Reports page.
It is recommended that providers submit claims on either Mondays or Tuesdays, as the deadline for claims submission is Wednesday at noon, or 12PM EST.
Claims are continually picked up for processing each Wednesday until noon. 
Your Billed Claims Report indicates what claims were successfully processed and is available Friday in eMBS under Provider Weekly Reports.

Contact for technical assistance

Claims Services and Billing Unit
Division of Medicaid Development and Administration
Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities
30 E Broad St, 13th Floor
Columbus OH 43215-3434
(800) 617-6733, option 2

Billing Agents

You may choose to contract with a billing agent rather than to submit your own claims.

How Do I Bill For Medicaid Funded Services That I Provide?

Provider PAWS MSS Registration Link Information

MSS is the system that projects the Waiver cost for each individual and also is where the Daily Rate Application (DRA) for congregate settings lives.

Every provider is given access to the MSS application when being certified and it should appear in your applications drop down menu.  Agency access is given to the CEO or person responsible for updating information in the Provider Certification Wizard (PCW) online application.

Any agency staff that do not have access to view MSS and were responsible for accessing PAWS in the current stand-alone application will need to submit a security affidavit to the Department to get access to MSS to view PAWS. 

Billing for I/O and Level 1 Waiver services is submitted online at through the eMBS system. You will need your user name and password, PAWS information and service documentation in order to bill. 

Who do I call when I have billing questions?

Please direct all billing questions to Provider Support Services via e-mail: or call 800-617-6733 option 2 for provider claims and billing.

General Questions & Answers

A provider cannot bill for services until he/she has received a final approval letter from the DODD. The final approval letter indicates your Medicaid Provider number issued by the Ohio Department of Job and Family services (ODJFS). You may only submit claims after you and/or your billing agent have completed and returned to DODD a Security Affidavit. Once received, you will be assigned a log-in and temporary password. The DODD Security Affidavit Form is located on the DODD main website in the forms section.  Complete this form and fax to DODD at 614-752-4673 or mail the original to:

Security Administrator, DODD
30 East Broad Street, 12th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215-3434.

List of 2 frequently asked questions.

  • How do I bill for non-Medicaid funded Supported Living services delivered? 

    Providers that deliver non-Medicaid funded Supported Living services are reimbursed directly by the County Board of Developmental Disabilities with whom you are contracting. It is recommended that you contact them directly to obtain reimbursement information.
  • What is the difference between a Contract Number and a Medicaid Billing Number?

    A contract number is a 7-digit number assigned by the DODD. It is placed on a Payment Authorization for Waiver Services (PAWS) form to identify the various providers of service. A Medicaid Billing number is a 7-digit number issued by ODJFS. A Medicaid Billing Number indicates that the provider is officially enrolled as a Medicaid Provider, and may receive federal reimbursement through the waiver.