ANNUAL TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Training Requirements can be found in the Appendices for Rule 5123-9-09 (Independent Provider Certification)
Annual Training is tracked by calendar year. Meaning a Provider can complete their training anytime between January 1 and December 31 each year.
Department provided curriculum can be found through DODD MyLearning
You must have a full 8 hours of training annually (2 hours of Department/DODD provided training, and the 6 additional hours that can be a combination of DODD materials and other training). The six hours of training required annually are in topics selected by the Provider. This means you must find training(s) that are applicable to the services you provide and/or individuals you serve. DODD does offer some supplementary training materials that can count toward those additional 6 hours but to be in compliance,
Your CPR/First Aid certification must ALWAYS be current
All Independent Providers are required to have the following annual training (unless noted as exempt below):
- Two (2) hours of training provided by the Department or by an entity using Department-provided curriculum in topics relevant to the independent provider’s duties including:
- Empathy-based care
- “National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals” code of ethics
- Rights of individuals set forth in section 5123.62 of the Revised Code
- Six (6) hours of training in topics selected by the independent provider from the following list that are relevant to the services provided and individuals served by the independent provider:
- Components of quality care (Examples include but are not limited to interpersonal relationships and trust, cultural competency, effective communication, person-centered philosophy, planning, and practice; implementing individual service plans; trauma informed care; empathy-based care)
- Health and safety (Examples include but are not limited to signs and symptoms of illness or injury and procedure for response, transportation safety)
- Positive behavioral support (Examples include but are not limited to creative a positive culture, general requirements for intervention and behavioral support strategies and role of independent provider including documentation, crisis intervention techniques
There may be additional training requirements depending on the service you are providing. Those requirements can be found within the rule for the specific service.
- Rule 5123-17-02 of the Administrative Code (MUI Rule) including a review of health and welfare alerts issued by the Department since previous year’s training
REMEMBER: If you are certified in a service, you must meet the annual training requirements even if you are not actively providing the service!